Saturday 20 October 2007

TV Links Raided and the operator arrested



A 26yo man from Chelteham in the UK, was arrested yesterday and the web site TV-Links shut down.

Many sites exist hosting and streaming video content across the web, what made TV-links so popular was that it aggregated these videos and allowed users to browse and search them from one place.

Although not actually hosting any of the content, the operator has been arrested for 'facilitation' of copyright infringement. This raises the question of what actually constitutes an offence. If I linked to TV-Links or a similar site from my blog, would I have the long arm of the law knocking at my door tomorrow?

Anyway, at the very least, the movie and TV industry need to realise that the way people want media is changing and there is a huge demand for their programmes, and back-catalogue ( wheres ya Mac iPlayer BBC!?!?), prefereably all in one place. I for one would pay a fiver a month to have access to BBC/C4/American content streamable and maybe pay a quid a time for a movie. They'd make a not so small fortune for sure.

RIP Tv-Links (not that I ever used it myself, you understand).

No comments: